What should I work on next?

16 January 2014

Henry "Hank" Esslinger, 1957-2015

  I met Hank (also known as Critter, Security Minister Sholo Crittumbo, and several variations of same) online in the popular gaming forum The Miniatures Page. He was a valued member of that online community, not least because he always stayed out of the sometimes nasty mudslinging that takes place there. He was friendly, kind, humorous and caring. I learned that he was staying nearby a few years ago and invited him over to the house, and we had a great evening. He met my wife and sons, and charmed her. He always kept up with my boys afterwards, and their accomplishments.

  I only saw Hank in person two other times. Once was at a gaming convention held aboard the Battleship Texas. We spent most of that day hanging out and playing games. The other was at the Texas Renaissance Faire, where he worked every fall. Other than that, our contact was through TMP, Facebook, and occasional phone calls and texts.

   Hank died suddenly over night on January 14th/15th. As I write this, I haven't learned the cause of death. He was a great guy, and a good friend. The world was a better, brighter, happier place with his big heart and ready wit in it. He will be missed by many.


1 comment:

Elderac said...

May he rest in peace.