What should I work on next?

13 June 2011

Highlander Studios Previews Space 1889 15mm


  If you were not aware, Highlander Studios is working with Frank Chadwick to provide a new line of Space 1889 figures in 15mm. This is HUGE news for me and the VSF community in general. Roderick Campbell is sculpting them, and has put a few preview photos up on his blog, which you, dear reader, can access by clicking here.

  Having looked them over, I thought I would share a few thoughts. The opinions are my own, and worth what you paid for them.

  1. The minis are a nice clean sculpt. That's a BIG plus.
  2. I'm not a fan of the gasmask for troops on Mars, especially in the Space 1889 setting.
  3. I do like the Martini-Simmons Quickfiring rifle.
  4. I don't 'get' the second figure pictured. Big, armored, full mask, with a pistol and some sort of backpack-powered weapon. Not feeling it.
  5. I really like the adventurer types in the last photo. And the ideas of adding more.
   In all, I would probably not buy the British soldier shown, because of the gasmask. Other than that, it is a very nice figure, and I would be interested in non-masked versions. Go ahead and mark me down for the adventurer pack. Still looking forward (eagerly!) to the Kraag Martians.

   So, if Frank or Roderick are out there, listening, here are my requests, in order of preference:
  • Kraag Martians
  • Gashants and rumeet breehr
  • Lizardmen armed with guns, and possibly in some form of uniform pieces (fez?)
  • Steppe Nomad Martians / Hill Martians

4 comments:

John Lambshead said...

Great News,
J

ColKillgore said...

The big guy is based off of a character in the Cherrie Priest steampunk book Boneshaker. The man is heavily armored to fight of zombies that are part of the story. He has a big one shot sonic cannon that stuns the zombies and a couple big psitols to take care of everything else.

Roderick talks about the model in an earlier post and explains were it comes from.

ColKG

ColKillgore said...

Double comment, I would also like to see the Venusian Askari in fez, pantaloons and a boltaction rifle.

ColKG

J Womack, Esq. said...

I've read Bonecrusher. hadn't read the post about the figure previously. So now it makes more sense.