If you were not aware, Highlander Studios is working with Frank Chadwick to provide a new line of Space 1889 figures in 15mm. This is HUGE news for me and the VSF community in general. Roderick Campbell is sculpting them, and has put a few preview photos up on his blog, which you, dear reader, can access by clicking here.
Having looked them over, I thought I would share a few thoughts. The opinions are my own, and worth what you paid for them.
- The minis are a nice clean sculpt. That's a BIG plus.
- I'm not a fan of the gasmask for troops on Mars, especially in the Space 1889 setting.
- I do like the Martini-Simmons Quickfiring rifle.
- I don't 'get' the second figure pictured. Big, armored, full mask, with a pistol and some sort of backpack-powered weapon. Not feeling it.
- I really like the adventurer types in the last photo. And the ideas of adding more.
In all, I would probably not buy the British soldier shown, because of the gasmask. Other than that, it is a very nice figure, and I would be interested in non-masked versions. Go ahead and mark me down for the adventurer pack. Still looking forward (eagerly!) to the Kraag Martians.
So, if Frank or Roderick are out there, listening, here are my requests, in order of preference:
- Kraag Martians
- Gashants and rumeet breehr
- Lizardmen armed with guns, and possibly in some form of uniform pieces (fez?)
- Steppe Nomad Martians / Hill Martians